Sunday, February 17, 2008

Thing 4

On the "giving" end, I have used Photoworks to create albums and photobooks to share with family. It is valuable for those "one of a kind" family portraits and photos that must be scanned to share with extended family. On the "receiving" end, I have used Snapfish to view photos and order prints of our grandson who lives in a distant locale. I can't say that one service is superior to the other --- for me it just takes time to learn each program and the features it offers. For, example, I chose Photoworks to create an "heirloom" photobook, as it had the template styles I liked.

A valuable feature of Flickr are the tags for sorting and future access. Labeling, dating, etc., of images can quickly become too large to manage. I would agree with the video that the first thing I would grab in a fire are photo negatives. Nice to know now this would not be necessary as Flickr, Photoworks or Snapfish, etc., has them backed up on a server.

I would consider using Flickr (or a similar online service) in the Media Center --- perhaps in a similar manner to what St. Bens and St. Johns are doing to hightlight books in their collections.

I am always concerned about making family or school photos made public. In our district, we go around and around about this issue. On the one hand, student names and photos are now public through online versions of local newspapers, yet we wonder how much we should publish online through our school communications and still project students.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I have to agree there are a lot of issues when it comes to personal information.

But if you focus on what you can do within the library setting you will see that the possibilities are limitless and will continue to grow over time.

Keep bloggin away.

Cindy Gruwell
CMLE 23 Things Coach