Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing 8

What I like best about these tools is that they transcend (for the most part) platforms and applications. Our school runs both Intel and OSX platforms and it can be a bit tricky (not to mention expensive) providing for and moving files, etc. from one platform to another --- even "flash drives" can fail us. Thumbstacks, Zoho, and Slideshare appear to be great options for universal sharing and access, while taking the hassle out of snags due to cross-platforms, upgrades, etc.

I was not aware until the "23 Things" of Picture Trail and other sites that add pizzazz to files and presentations. Although I don't have immediate application for this, I can see its use in graphic design classes for staff and students who want to jazz up their presentations. Young people would really have fun with this, as would they with other tools like Big Huge Labs. I tried downloading a trial version of Big Huge Lab, but it does not appear compatible with my home OSX machine. (Sigh . . . ) I'll try it on my school PC sometime.

Again, I had no idea that eFolio existed and was amazed at the diversity and extent of information accessible on students' and professionals' lives (including a performance recording of a professional trumpeter!) This could be a good tool for prospective employees to demonstrate an "edge" when applying for professional positions.

What I appreciate most to date about the "23 Things" is the exposure to new trends in online tools.

No comments: