Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing 9

I did not really find either Zoho Writer or Google Docs significantly different or easier to use, but naturally gravitated to Google, as I like its simplicity and familiarity. I did not have to create an account, as I had an existing Google account. (One less password to remember!) I was able to import a document and edit, etc., without any difficulty.

Had I been aware of this Web 2.0 tool last week, it could have prevented a problem that resulted from attempting to e-mail a PowerPoint attachment for editing by another party. The recipient received the document, but the images did not come through, so he was unable to do the editing he wished.

I can't imagine what our Founding Fathers would think of this tool. I know that the ability to write and edit through word processing enables much faster recording and composition. Would they have appreciated that? I think so. Would the capacity for simultaneous editors have created chaos? Perhaps. The document could have read quite differently.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I have to agree, but what I do like is that they are free and for a certain segment of the population it is quite positive.

In fact a number of these tools benefit users who do not have regular access to resources like many of us.

Course then its up to many of us to tell tem about these tools. Things is there are many who don't know about these tools. That is one of the things that makes 23 Things so helpful...its informative!

Cindy Gruwell
23 Things CMLE Coach

PJD said...

I agree, even though I am making progress ever so slowly, I am learning about new web tools that I didn't know existed!